Of the 255 students attending the fifth grade in the Stoughton Public Schools, one will earn the title of spelling bee champion on the night of February 22.
Stoughton Media Access has teamed up with the Stoughton Schools to organize a spelling bee featuring students from all five of Stoughton's elementary schools - the Dawe, Gibbons, Hansen, South and West.
The SMAC All-School 5th Grade Spelling Bee will be held Monday, February 22 at 7pm at Stoughton Town Hall in the Great Hall on the third floor. The Bee will be broadcast live on Comcast 9 and Verizon 28 in Stoughton.
- Dawe - Kyla Sheedy-Goff, William Bishop-Mote, Sophia Theodorides and Jayden Coleman
- Gibbons - Joseph Rush, William Tinkham, Marcus Rodney and Olivia Tran
- Hansen - Christopher Matthews, Celina Tran, Ethan Arroyo and Camryn Whitman
- South - Vince Nguyen, Eli Hochberg, Grace Malley and Gabby Julien
- West - James McCarthy, Kiley Smith, Laisa Pereira and Murtaza Khalil
The following students were selected as alternates, ready to step in if any of the participants are unable to attend: Benjamin Dias (Dawe), David Gay (Dawe), Cadence Wasoka (Gibbons), Nakelle Hyppolite (Gibbons), Liam Corcoran (Hansen), Katherine Giroux (South), Abby Joseph (South) and Dillon Beninati (West).
O'Donnell Middle School teacher Julie Linehan will be moderating the Bee. Stoughton Public Library Director Pat Basler and Stoughton Schools Humanities Curriculum Supervisors Eileen Sprague and Ashley Goldstein will serve as judges.
The participants will be receiving prizes thanks to the generosity of the Prone Family Foundation, Camelot Enterprises, Stoughton Media Access and the Stoughton Public Schools.
*A snow date has also been reserved for Monday, February 29 in case of inclement weather.
5th Grade All-School